A persuasive speech is aimed to assure the audience to do something. No matter if you want people to vote, stop dropping litter, or reconsider on any issue, convincing speech is an efficient way to influence the audience. A successful convincing speech includes many elements. But by preparing and practicing, you can make your speech powerful and write a persuasive speech fast.
Preparation for Writing a Speech
You should learn more about your topic. It is necessary to know as much as possible about the topic you are going to speak on. If you are still not aware of the subject, you need to carry some research to learn the issue more deeply.
- If your topic is quite controversial, it’s good to learn of the arguments from all sides of the issue. When you`ll make the argument, your speech will sound more convincing if you mention the opinion of the opposing side.
- Read articles or books about your topic. You can find books on your subject in the library, or you can go online to find articles. Remember that your sources should be reliable, for example news organizations, academic articles and books.
- Use opinion-oriented sources, like talk radio or editorials, as they can be valuable for learning about various opinions concerning your topic. But, you should not make them your only information source, as they can be very partial. If you want to use them, don`t forget to read various opinions on the issue, not only one side.
How to Write a Persuasive Speech Introduction?
Those worried about how to write persuasive speech introductions should first of all think over their aims and purposes. Once you understand what you want to accomplish with your speech, the effect you want to achieve with it, crafting an introduction becomes much easier. Consider the following tips:
- For instance, if you are going to speak about recycling, it’s necessary to have an in-depth awareness of the issue. But, your speech will have to become a reflection of what you expect the audience to do.
- Do you want people to vote for a citywide recycling program? Or do you want to convince them to separate their glass and cans and throw them into a certain bin? These speeches will differ depending on your aim, so having the objective expound early will help you create your message.
How to Write Personal Speech Ideas? Consider Your Audience
To understand your audience, their opinions and their level of knowledge about the issue is also crucial. This may also have an impact on the content of your speech.
- An audience that does not know much about your topic will require more background information and more simple language. If there are experts among the audience, they will probably consider such a simple speech to be tedious.
- In the same way, it will be easier to convince the audience that already keeps up your viewpoint. You don`t have to persuade them you are right, only that they have to do something. On the contrary, an audience that disagrees with you will have to be assured just to study your viewpoint.
You should choose the right approach to convince the audience. Depending on the issue and the audience, there exist several ways you may try to persuade people of your opinion. There are two main approaches of persuasion:
- Pathos. It influences emotions of the audience. For instance: “Imagine animals that are left homeless every day because people cut trees. If we did more recycling, these beautiful forests could be saved.”
- Logos. It influences logic or intellect of the audience. For instance: “We are aware of the fact that supply of natural resources is limited. We can enlarge this supply with the help of recycling.”
How to Write a Persuasive Speech Outline?
After you have decided on your goals, audience, and persuasive appeal, make the outline of your major points. As soon as you choose the best approach of persuasion of the audience, think about the main points you’ll mention during the speech – this will serve as good guidance on how to write persuasive speech outline quickly and without trouble. There is no universal recipe, but the golden rule of a good persuasive speech outline says that there should be three or four supporting points.
Writing a Speech
Your speech should contain a strong opening. Before you start convincing the audience, you have to open the speech in such a way that will lure their attention. There are five steps of making a strong opening:
- Allure the attention of the audience. You can use a statement (or an image) that draws your audience’s attention. It can be a nice idea to be a bit worried or dramatic when you open the speech.
- Create a connection with the audience. This is a way to show that you have something mutual with the audience. You can demonstrate that you have a common background or share the same emotions. But to do so you should really know your audience. For instance, if you are a parent, you may highlight the anxiety for the future of your own children, speaking to other parents. If your interest and ideological position coincide with ones of your audience, you can lay stress on that.
- Mention your background papers. This is a way to show that you have a high level of knowledge about your topic. Emphasize the fact that you’ve done a research on your topic. Don`t forget to highlight your personal or professional experience concerning the topic, if you have such. If you are going to speak about recycling, you can say “I’ve spent a lot of time studying the recycling problem and programs existing in other towns.”
- State your objective. Say what you expect the speech to accomplish.
- Finally, speak about the major points of your speech. For instance, “I think we have to start a recycling program because of these three reasons…
Offer evidence that can persuade the audience – that’s a major secret of how to write a persuasive speech template. The main body of your speech should contain cogent reasons to support your point of view.
- Make sure these points are aligned logically. Don’t leap from one point to the other, and then back again. You should finish one argument, then move on to another that comes logically out of it.
- Remember to use credible sources from your research to support your points. You can add some factual information as it will make your argument sound stronger.
Making an Impressive Persuasive Speech Conclusion
Conclude with an appeal to action. The conclusion should contain the reminding about what you have told the audience. Also, it should make clear what you hope they will do next. Make sure you don’t just restate what you’ve already told. Instead, use this as the possibility to strengthen the way your major points back your appeal to action.
Presentation of the speech
You should practice your speech. If you want your speech to work, you must practice as much as possible.
- Practice in front of a mirror. In such a way, you can see how you are carrying the speech. You will notice your body language and facial expressions. These can strengthen or prevent your ability to deliver your message.
- You may notice you are hunching or twitching your collar. These actions can make people think you are not confident.
- After practicing on your own, give a talk to your friends or family. Ask them what they think about your message and the way you deliver your speech.
Remember to dress appropriately. When the day of your speech comes, dress according to the place where you’ll be speaking and the audience. Broadly speaking, this means dressing professionally. But, the degree of formality depends on the situation. If you are going to deliver your speech in a film club to persuade them to show your film, it won’t be necessary to dress too formally. However, speaking to the executives of a movie distribution company will require some formality. For the executives, it`s better to wear a suit.
Get your audience interested. If there is something certain you would like your audience to do, make sure they have all resources to make it easier. It is not easy to motivate people to act, but if you make it easier, there will be more possibility that people will follow you. For instance, if you want people to go to the mayor and demand a recycling program, it won`t be enough just to ask them to do it. Provide them with addressed envelopes to send a letter, or cards with phone number and email address of the mayor.
Try to relax. Many people are terrified of speaking in front of the public, but try to calm down and be yourself as you speak.
- It`s important to be amicable and have eye contact with people you`re speaking to.
- Don`t just stand, move around, where appropriate.
- Try not to read the speech. It’s a normal thing to use a few notes to follow the plan of your speech, but you should know it by heart.
Wishing to Get Things Done Faster?
Many students are interested in how to write a 3-minute persuasive speech. That’s not easy in terms of expertise and writing skills; you have to be a true expert in communication to get this done properly. However, if we keep in mind that a speech is for speaking, not a writing assessment, it is absolutely possible. Just think of your key point, your crucial message you want to render – and shape it beautifully in 5-6 sentences. If you are passionate about the subject, that might work equally well as if you would spend the entire day on crafting the speech.
Be in touch with our new how-to guide on writing research paper on social media.